Ep. 88 | F#*K Content Marketing
Content marketers are the red-headed stepchildren in the marketing family. Always getting kicked around by a demand gen older sibling or the cutesy new addition, customer marketing. But who do they call when they need to get an email or eBook written, or a customer testimonial produced? That’s right.
So, when my demand gen lead passed along a recent LinkedIn Pulse link with the clickable headline F#*K Content Marketing needless to say I wasn’t all that interested in giving it a read, let alone asking its author to be a guest on the podcast.
But I did read it, and here we are today with Uberflip’s Randy Frisch (@randyfrisch) on the show talking about the message behind that headline, which is that we need to do a better job at marketing our content.
Frisch is the CMO and president of Uberflip, a company he co-founded nearly a decade ago. Uberflip (@Uberflip) is a cloud-based platform that allows marketers to create, manage, and optimize content experiences at every stage of the buyer’s journey.
What is Content Marketing?
Let’s be clear. Randy doesn’t have an issue with content. That is the eBooks, blog posts, videos, podcasts, datasheets, infographics, website landing pages, or any of the other countless items that a business creates to address a question or pain point their target audience(s) may have along their buying journey.
No, Randy’s point is that we do a terrible job making sure our audience knows about that and all the other content we have created for them. Too often, an eBook is created and within a few weeks it’s sitting on the proverbial shelf gathering dust. Instead, we marketers (regardless of your industry) need to be thinking about how we leverage all that work.
How do we make sure the sales team knows about it?
How do we know the customer and technical service teams know about it?
How do we know those damn marketers in demand gen and customer marketing know about it.
Listen to the podcast to find out.
- Can you tell us about yourself and Uberflip?
- From Mygazine to Uberflip and a content experience platform. Can you talk about that evolution, and what the result (CXP) means for marketers?
- What is content?
- Your LinkedIn post F#*k content marketing caught the eye of our demand gen head. How are marketers failing their content?
- How can or should content be used?
- In it you wrote, “F#*k content marketing,” I told them, “It’s time to start marketing our content!” Can you explain how B2B companies working in finance, healthcare or higher education should go about doing this?
- Can you tell me more about the dedicated Content Experience Team at Uberflip?
- You cite a stat from SiriusDecisions that 60–70% of content churned out by B2B marketing departments today sits unused. Besides scaring the s-word out of a marketer, what should they do today to turn that around?
- We recently had on Jay Baer (@jaybaer) and we talked about your collaboration on the Content Experience Conference. Can you tell us about the conference and why folks should consider attending?
- How can we learn more about Uberflip?